It sounds somewhat odd to “clean your dishwasher”. After all, it is already being used to clean dishes. So it makes you think that the dishwashers must be clean all the time, right? Wrong! It is necessary to clean and maintain your dishwasher from time to time so that it functions efficiently and also smells fresh.
Cleaning a dishwasher is not as tedious as it seems. There are simple ways through which you can have a clean and polished dishwasher. We share with you some easy steps to keep your dishwasher in optimum shape.
Cleaning the Dishwasher with vinegar:
What you need:
- Distilled White Vinegar
- Paper Towel
- Soft Cloth
- Old Soft Toothbrush, Tooth Picks
- Baking Soda
Steps for Cleaning:
- Empty your dishwasher.
- Put distilled white vinegar water in one side of your kitchen sink (approximately 1-2 cups vinegar and half full sink of water).
- Remove the rack and utensil holder. Check for any debris or stuck on food in the bottom and wipe it.
- Disassemble and remove the filter, grate, and arm from the dishwasher floor. In short, remove all parts that you can remove manually using your hands. Put the parts in sink to wipe it with vinegar water and damp rag. Ensure that the holes spraying water on the blades are clear and there is no debris or bits of food stuck in the holes. Use a tooth pick to clear the holes if needed.
- Take a paper towel and use it for removing food gunk and debris.
- Use a cloth which is wet with vinegar water to wipe the edges and inside of doors. You can use a tooth brush to access tiny places. (if you find it difficult to remove the gunk, use a soft tooth brush with baking soda paste on it.
- Replace and reassemble all parts.
- Check and clean garbage disposal. Run your garbage disposal and put some ice cubes while running it. this will help eliminate any debris in the disposal.
- Add roughly 2 cups of white vinegar in the dishwasher bottom and put it on to low wash or energy. Stop the dishwasher in mid wash. This way the vinegar will settle down in the bottom and work. Just let it stay for 20 minutes and later turn on to complete/finish cycle.
- Once this is done, wipe out the inner part with dry paper towel.
- Also remember that you have to wipe the outside as well. Based on the type of dishwasher, spray some mild stainless steel cleaner or spray cleaner on your dishwasher.
- Step back and check out your clean dishwasher.